[Yum] Yum Ideas?

Nigel Jewell nigel.jewell at pixexcel.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 08:07:17 UTC 2004

Thanks for your replies.

> > I've just started using yum in anger, and there are a number of things
> > that immediately spring to mind. Have any of these been considered?

 > you started using yum in anger?
 > Did it offend you?

;) I'm sure you know that I meant "installed on many machines". In fact,
we were running a "current" repository supporting RH 7.3 for an age. Due
to lack of maintenance of "current" and repeated errors, it was time to
move on.

> > 1) The ability to download updates but not install them. For example,
> > every night I would like to check for updates and download them, but
> > have the ability to install them at a later time.

 > asked for quite a bit.

Does anyone have any interest in implementing it? Or is it a no-go?
Would you accept patches if it was implemented? (No promises).

> > 2) Displaying the total filesize during the download and not just the
> > downloaded filesize. Small point, but useful.

 > maybe.Not sure if I have that information up-front, though.

Like others have said - depends upon the server I guess.

> > 3) Displaying the download speed during download. Small point but useful.

 > Why Download Speed?
 > There is limited room on a screen. why is download speed important?

Simply because we run a repository at the end of a "256kbps" link.
There are a number of reasons for that which I won't bother you with.
If someone sets up a new box, and wants to perform an full upgrade and
then someone else hits the repository, download speeds suffers a lot.
It is better to try again later.  Of course, not such an issue in a
University.

Anyway, we are interested in all of these and we would/could consider
implementing them if we felt that there was interest and a chance that
they would get migrated.  Again, no promises.

--
Nige.

PixExcel Limited