[Yum] So many kernels, so little time...

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 15:50:28 UTC 2004

After a while of running your system with automatic updating you end up
with a number of kernels installed.  [If you are tracking the bleeding
edge stuff you end up with 2 a day (SMP)].

Is there a nice neat way to purge off old kernels keeping a smaller
number of versions?

For that matter is there a way of deleting the "excess" kernels in yum
(which appears to not like you specifying package-version strings) -
currently I use rpm directly to purge old ones.

Is this something I have missed (in which case I expect to feel nice and
toasty soon), and if not is it something that should be considered as
part of the overall package management solution (time to switch off
bullshit mode).

	Nigel.