[Yum] Confused about 'Test Transaction'

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 3 23:59:58 UTC 2004

Hi Seth, thanks for the help on IRC today.  After a bit more testing,
I've realized a couple things:

1) If I run rpm -U --test javalinks-1.4.2_01-1.i386.rpm
it gives the conflicting file errors every time.

2) If I run 'yum install javalinks' (using the same package as above, of
course), it sometimes installs and sometimes gives the error during the
test transaction.  It seems to install 4 out of 5 times on average - 1
out of 5 times (give or take) it gives the conflicting file errors.
This is when I am repeatadly running 'yum install javalinks', 'yum erase
javalinks'.

So, I installed yum-2.0.5.  Now the 'yum install javalinks' gives the
error every time - this is good!  But now I want to throw in even more
confusion, so:

# yum erase glut glut-devel

[...]

I will do the following:
[erase: glut 3.7-12.i386]
[erase: glut-devel 3.7-12.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
Erasing: glut-devel 1/2
Erasing: glut 2/2
Erased:  glut 3.7-12.i386 glut-devel 3.7-12.i386
Transaction(s) Complete

----------

# yum -y groupupdate Instructional

[...]

>From Instructional installing glut
>From Instructional installing javalinks
>From Instructional installing glut-devel
Resolving dependencies
Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[install: javalinks 1.4.2_01-1.i386]
[install: glut 3.7-12.i386]
[install: glut-devel 3.7-12.i386]
Getting glut-3.7-12.i386.rpm
glut-3.7-12.i386.rpm      100% |=========================|  80 kB
00:00
Getting glut-devel-3.7-12.i386.rpm
glut-devel-3.7-12.i386.rp 100% |=========================| 182 kB
00:00
Running test transaction:
Test transaction complete, Success!
glut 100 % done 1/3
javalinks 100 % done 2/3
glut-devel 100 % done 3/3
Installed:  javalinks 1.4.2_01-1.i386 glut 3.7-12.i386 glut-devel
3.7-12.i386
Transaction(s) Complete