[Yum] How not to mix packages from different repositories

lux yum at iotti.biz
Sat Dec 25 09:37:57 UTC 2004

> > I have a question that seems common to me, but I searched around and
> > did not
> > find an answer.
> > I use yum on Fedora, currently Core 3. I produce some packages that
> > merely
> > extend the functionality of Fedora's ones.
> > For example, Fedora has the squid-2.5.STABLE6-3 package; I compiled
> > it
> > with
> > some patches and some modifications and created
> > squid-2.5.STABLE6-3.lux.1 .
> > Now, I would like that if for example Fedora issues
> > squid-2.5.STABLE6-4, yum
> > update do not update my version with it: this would break my services
> > since
>
> There are two ways -
>
> The pure yum way - add
>
> exlude=squid
>
> to your fedora-updates.repo file (or your main yum conf file).
>
> The second way - use smart (it's a gui repository manager) and give
> your squid package a higher priority than the updates repository.
>
> For now - the pure yum way of telling to ignore squid updates is
> probably better.

Thank you for the answer.

I used the first method suggested, it works but it seems a not optimal
solution to me, because the squid package was only an example: I have more
(actually about 20) packages that I fear are mixed from one repository to
another, causing problems with configuration or file path and so on.
I made a script that lists them and inserts the correct exclude/includepkgs
directives in the repo files. But when someone installs a new rpm, he has to
remember to rerun the script.
After all, the exclude/includepkgs solution works, but I think that an
option in yum to disable updating a package signed with a key ID using a
package signed with another key ID would be useful. This should also be not
so complicated, because yum already checks the package's sign, so it does
lot more than reading the key ID. Unfortunately I don't understand python:
had a look at it, but seems very different from C and I'm not a real
programmer..
Maybe if a developer is reading this list..

Thank you
Lux