[Yum] Re: x86_64 and yum 2.1.12 (tries to install both architectures i386 and x86_64)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Dec 7 15:36:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:27:20AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 16:24 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Yes, if x86_64 is the preferred architecture.

> > > With x86_64 as preferred architecture, no.
> >
> > IMHO, it should.
> >
> > Desired behaviour:
> > o yum install foo
> >   for all arch in archs: if foo.arch already installed, upgrade foo.arch
> >   if foo.bestarch not installed: Install foo.bestarch
> >
> >   I.e. default to only native packages, but upgrade compatibility
> >   packages is such had been installed.
> > o yum remove foo
> >   Unconditionally remove all foo.arch (like it is now)
> >
> > In order to remove only for a specific arch, use yum remove
> > foo.arch. In order to install for all archs use yum --comparchtoo
> > install foo. comparchtoo could be a switch in yum.config.
>
> Boy, that makes the behavior different, dramatically, so, for install
> and remove as to what a non-specific package name implements.

install and remove operations are dramatically different, just think
of the dependency direction you need to check in both cases. ;)

> Glad that won't be confusing to users.

The idea is to Do The Right Thing (TM), which is this case is to only
pull in compatibility packages when they are explicitely required like
for installing openoffice.

The typical use should not include choosing archs at all. Currently
yum bundles by default i386 packages to x86_64 ones. So even a
non-multilib "native" [1] system becomes multilib on the first yum
upgrade ...

[1] All but grub.i386
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net