[Yum] Re: x86_64 and yum 2.1.12 (tries to install both architectures i386 and x86_64)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Dec 7 15:24:37 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 05:51:35PM +0100, Jürgen Möllenhoff wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
>
> >and how does the work for removals?
> >should yum remove foo only remove foo.x86_64?
>
> Yes, if x86_64 is the preferred architecture.
>
> >or should it match foo.i386, too?
>
> With x86_64 as preferred architecture, no.

IMHO, it should.

Desired behaviour:
o yum install foo
  for all arch in archs: if foo.arch already installed, upgrade foo.arch
  if foo.bestarch not installed: Install foo.bestarch

  I.e. default to only native packages, but upgrade compatibility
  packages is such had been installed.
o yum remove foo
  Unconditionally remove all foo.arch (like it is now)

In order to remove only for a specific arch, use yum remove
foo.arch. In order to install for all archs use yum --comparchtoo
install foo. comparchtoo could be a switch in yum.config.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net