[Yum] yum 2.1.11 and the -d 0 option (feature request)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Dec 4 04:04:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 02:14 +0100, Jürgen Möllenhoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> seth vidal wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 01:53 +0100, Jürgen Möllenhoff wrote:
> >>would it possible to change the behavior of the Yum 2.1.11 version so
> >>that it prints with the -d 0 option not the lines:
> >>
> >>Installing: x 100 % done 1/2
> >>Installing: y 100 % done 2/2
> >>
> >>for each package? Instead it could just print the results:
> >>
> >>Updated: x y
> >>Complete!
> >>
> > It was a bug. It's been reported at rh's bugzilla and fixed in cvs. It
> > will be corrected in yum 2.1.12
>
> Now yum it's a little bit too quiet, the 2.1.12 version reports nothing
> in the nightly cron update, even it has something to update. I changed
> the -d 0 option in the cron entry to -d 1 and so yum reports the updates
> again but is quiet if nothing is to do.
>
> Would it be possible to change the -d 0 option to -d 1 in the cron entry
> of the tarball so that this option is the default for future versions of
> yum?

-d0 -e0 have ALWAYS outputted nothing except for critical errors.

That's the way yum has been since 0.X days.

If you want to see what happened check out yum.log.

In answer to your question about changing the default in the cron job
from -d 0 to -d 1 -  the answer is no - it's fine to get an email  about
a single system getting an update. Translate that to 100s of systems and
you'll find you don't want all that email.

if you like it to be -d1 then you can change the cron job.