[Yum] python 2.2 plus 2.3 on RedHat

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri Dec 3 00:59:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:09:29PM -0800, Rick Graves wrote:
>This must have come up before, and Guido has already
>worked out the details.

I'm not exactly Guido, but I'm glad you found the FAQ useful.  :-)

In general, the python.org RPMs I build *ALWAYS* are named "pythonX.Y"
where "X.Y" is the major/minor number, so that it does not conflict with
different major/minor versions on your system.

The problem there is that you will need to re-install any modules you need,
since they go in the /usr/lib/pythonX.Y directory.  With distutils, you can
usually do "python setup.py bdist_rpm --python=python2.3" or what have you.

As far as installing new Python RPMs via yum, see the Python 2.4 page --
there's now a yum repository for use with FC3 there.

Enjoy,
Sean
--
 Hell hath no fury, like a file-system scorned.  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998
      Back off man. I'm a scientist.   http://HackingSociety.org/