[Yum] Re: yum-pull (current state), universal repository layout

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Wed Dec 1 05:08:38 UTC 2004

Good evening, Dag, all,

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Dag Wieers wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, William Stearns wrote:
>
> > 	Dag, thanks for mentioning yam
> > (http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/).  I took a look at it; it looks
> > like the overall goal of providing local repositories is the same, but
> > your tool and mine differ in what we provide to some degree.  Yours
> > supports PXE and network booting, mine doesn't.  I have a sense I support
> > more repositories.  We support different core OS's.
>
> Well, that last bit can be changed after I've taken a look at yum-pull :)

	Excellent!  Mine's a bash script, but should be readable.

> > 	I think it's good both are available for users with different
> > needs.
>
> Sure, I'll link to yours when I update the website.

	I'll link to yam as well.

> > 	Any feedback about this?  I'd love to have a universal layout we
> > all agree on someday - wouldn't it save bandwidth on all of us if we came
> > up with a standard layout that was accessible via round robin dns?  Is
> > that what ayo was supposed to do?
>
> Hmm, the layout does not include Apt, is that intentional ?

	I realized after I sent the message that I forgot to mention the
script also:

- creates the "RPMS.{reponame}" symlinks to {reponame}/packages/

	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "Absence is to love what wind is to fire.  It extinguishes the
small, it enkindles the great."
(Courtesy of Arnaud Installe <ainstalle at filepool.com>)