[Yum] YUM

Timothy Webster timw at outblaze.com
Tue Aug 31 12:20:11 UTC 2004

Use apt

Why bother with yum? Does it really make since to have 2
repository systems, 2 none interchangable tools.

Make yum read apt configs and repositories. Then yum might
have a chance of surviving until next year.
Otherwise everyone is going to follow the standard
and forget yum.

apt/yum needs to have the following debian tools
aptitude
apt-listbugs
apt-listchanges

Every system administrator needs to see the fixed bugs
and outstanding bugs.
Same goes for changes to a lessor extent.
synaptic is just too heavy, that is why redhat needs aptitude badly.

Finialy redhat needs a tool to simplify pinning packages.
Something equivalent to
dpkg --get-settings, --set-settings that grabs pinned packages from a
file withing the apt.conf.d directory.
Please do this in a separate file, no need to mess up the users
apt.conf.
hmm, I think will go and create this as a perl script, but
what to pin needs to be based on something.
hmm, a list of bugs would be nice see above apt-listbugs

P.S. I really like the directories for apt.conf.d and source.list.d
This is a wonderful idea redhat, my hat off to you.

-Tim.