[Yum] how to update not only rpms?

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Sat Aug 21 18:08:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 08:19:58PM +0300, Juan Fernandez wrote:
> I use RH on many machines.yum updates only thr rpms,what if I want to
> recieve and install not only rpms I mean patches and stuff ,what i need to
> do?

Yum only works with rpms.  It is strongly recommened that you use rpm
to keep your system up to date.  If you start installing software
"manually" via "configure; make; make install" or other ways (I'm not
sure what you mean by "patches and stuff") it's very easy to lose
track of what's going on and build up cruft.

You might think to yourself: there should be some system for tracking
all that stuff so you DON'T lose track.  There is such a system: use
rpms via yum :)

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G