[Yum] yum don't calculate disk space very well?

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Aug 15 16:58:24 UTC 2004

Hi,

I updated my system from fedora core 1 to fedora core development. I first
upgraded some packages (python, xorg, yum, openoffice.org, some gnome
packages...). When I did a yum update for the remaining packages, and there was
still a lot to update, with the proper --exclude, yum said that I needed
something like 260 Mo.

However I was able to realise an update, not for all the components at
one time but choosing subsets, like
yum update 'a*' 'b*' 'c*' 'd*' 'e*' 'f*'

And now that I ran the final yum update, I have about 300M free on my /,
which contains everything except /home and /opt. The only thing outside of
the / is /var/cache/yum, it is a link
/var/cache/yum -> /opt/fc1t/var/cache/yum/
and /opt is on another partition.
Thus, it seems that with that setup, yum didn't compute the disk space right.

Pat