[Yum] RPMs introduced in newer version of os (update vs upgrade)

Paul Nesbit pnesbit at mkcnetworks.com
Thu Aug 12 15:33:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:25:25AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> new packages that aren't obsoleting or updating some other package will
> never be installed by a yum upgrade.
>
> yum install is how you introduce new packages.

Thanks Seth.

Currently ISO installs (via CD-ROM or network) aren't an option for
a set of servers.  I'm curious if there's any value in using yum to
perform upgrades where new packages must be introduced (a
combination of yum upgrade and install), or if a bulk rpm -Fvh
RPMS/* (or something similar) would be simplest.  If any list
members have had this task to deal with and have any advice to
share, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

  Paul

--