[Yum] local file update

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 10 18:47:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 11:35:11AM -0700, Marshall Clark wrote:
> > Ok. you didn't attach the yum output this time, so I'm assuming that
> > was correct in the previous message.  In that, this baseurl is not
> > mentioned, so that's not related to those error messages.  Are you
> > using a proxy?

> The output of yum update is correct.  Yes I am using a proxy.  Have
> set http_proxy="myserver:port" and ftp_proxy="myserver:port" I can
> browse and ftp normal files on the net but mail does not work from
> local machines and yum will not work on any other machine but the
> server.

See what happens when you set the proxy as specified in the manpage:

       Proxy configuration
              If you would like to use a proxy with yum you can simply
              set a shell environment variable of http_proxy. Set it
              to the url for your proxy.  Ex:
              "http://your_proxy:port/"

Specifically, you should include the "ftp://" at the beginning.

> Have changed distroverpkg variable to fedora-release
> Same error, seems to skip the file baseurl and tries all http and ftp
> servers only.

What do you mean?  It's not SKIPPING it, it's just not complaining
because it WORKS.

The file url and ftp urls are for different repositories, at least as
you have the specified.  If you want two urls to be treated in a
failover capacity, you must:

 a) be sure they contain the same data
 b) put them both in the same baseurl specification, separated by
    whitespace

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G