[Yum] Download restarting

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 12:27:04 UTC 2004

>> Sorry if this has been done before on this mailing list, but...
>>
>> Could I recommend including a download restarting method (like wget) so
that
>> if a download exceeds the maximum number of retries then it is just put
>> aside to be downloaded at another time and the next download is
processed.
>> At the moment I'm getting all kinds of error messages showing up when the
>> retries expire.  It then drops back to the command so no updating is
done.

>These are two separate issues.  The first that you mention is yum
>continuing after a file has failed to download.  This is not going to
>happen, at least without some serious modification of package
>policies.  Lets pick an extreme case where you do a yum update and
>need a new XFree86, which depends on glibc.  Your glibc download
>fails.  yum should not proceed to install XFree86.

I agree that yum should not proceed to install XFree86, however is there any
reason why it shouldn't download it??  Or perhaps try a different repo for
glibc?  (Not sure whether yum already does this).

Yum already has an option of downloading without installing, so there must
be some flag for whether installation takes place after downloading.  The
level of this should just be changed so that it applies per file vs the
current global application.

This would become a more important issue for if multiple downloads where
allowed at once, perhaps downloading from two separate repositories.
Perhaps neither repo has much bandwidth and you could have multiple
downloads going at once from the *nix machine... It would be preferable to
have one connection to each repository... Then downloading all required
files (as currently happens) and using the dependencies previously obtained
begin installing the packages.  If there are still unsatified dependencies
then the user could be prompted as to whether they should be attempted
again.  If not then it (possibly) removes the installed packages, but leaves
the uninstalled packages until the dependancies are fulfilled or the package
becomes superceded.

Thanks for the consideration,
Good to hear that reget support is in the head :)

Bevan