[Yum] yum output email notification

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Sun Aug 8 07:34:23 UTC 2004

On Saturday 07 August 2004 19:28, Michael Stenner wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 04:11:33PM +0200, dan1 wrote:
> > Is it possible to get an email notification each time yum handles
> > a package to be installed / not installed, had problems, etc... ?
> > This would be great, because else how do I know if there is a
> > problem or not when I put it in a cron job ?

Well, since yum (2.0.7) is invoked through cron here, the parameter
-d1 just prints the essential info, I was after, too. Any output from
cron jobs will be mailed to root by default.

> The yum in CVS logs in a manner that's more syslog-like, so you
> should be able to use something like logwatch or epylog to notify
> you.

BTW: what's the state of CVS ATM? Could it act as a yum-stable
replacement in experimental environments by now? Any best practices,
how to play with it, as long, as installation isn't ready, yet?

> That's a bit less kludgy than controlling the logging (and
> building in the facility to send email, etc) from each application
> independantly.

Pete