[Yum] Using a fast internet connexion to update a computer with a slow one

Enrique Perez-Terron enrique.perez-terron at norway.online.no
Thu Aug 5 19:51:02 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 21:23, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 15:13, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 06:46, Daniel Gagnon wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there was a way for a user of Fedora Core 2 with
> > > only a 56K modem to download update on a computer that have a
> > > broadband connexion (but unfortunately, Windows) and carry them (on
> > > CDs, probably) to the computer with the slow connexion.
> > >
> > > And how can yum be used in the process ?
> > >

> > Perhaps you could apply the following patch in /usr/share/yum, and then
> > try the command:
> >

> Why not just do:
>
> yum --download-only update
>
> and then just collect the files out of /var/cache/yum/

Because the OP needs to execute the download on a different computer.

He apparently has
 1) a home computer with a very slow internet access
 2) a workplace computer with a good internet access, but possibly not
    even running any *nix os.

As I understood it, he wants to use Yum on the home computer to find out
what exactly to download, download it on the workplace computer, place
the rpms on a CD, and install the rpms when he gets home. Yum is not
needed in the last step, but I think it is nice to keep the rpms in
yum's cache just in case something.

Anyone, correct me please, if I misunderstood something.

-Enrique