[Yum] Using a fast internet connexion to update a computer with a slow one

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 4 16:20:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Daniel Gagnon wrote:

> > However, it would be nice if yum had the option
> >   yum list updates --with-dependencies
>
> Hum...  I guess that :
>
> yum update
>
> Then saying "no" when asked if it is ok to download would do the same.
>  However, how can I know which rpm is from which repository ?

You can construct a "wget pkg1 pgk2 .. " command for lftp and invoke
it separately for each repository (from different locations)

mkdir repo1
mkdir repo2
cd repo1
lftp url1
wget pkg1 pgk2 ..
cd ../repo2
lftp url2
wget pkg1 pgk2 ..

Now you when you go back to the slow-link machine - you can easily
copy the .rpm files into the correct /var/cache/yum/repo/packages
location and then invoke:

yum -C update

Satish