[Yum] too many config files

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 3 22:43:27 UTC 2004

It doesn't help with the issues I raised at all:  now I'd be faced with
maintaining 5 yum.conf files, 2 normalstartup.conf files, and about 20
repoX.conf files.

It would be *SO* much simpler for me to be able to call yum something
like this:

yum --policy newest --base ftp://server/repo1dir install foo
Or:
yum --policy last --base ftp://server/repo1dir --server    \
ftp://server/repo2dir install bar

where I can make use of variables in my calling scripts to supply server
and repodir, and every client has the same, common yum.conf.

I think that it comes down to these questions: are there reasons why the
policy and the repo urls can't be supplied on the command line?  Are
there complications that make this unreasonable?  Otherwise, the
requirement to contain this info in a text file is an unfortunate
limitation on a great program, (requiring a lot of work by a lot of
users, instead of, perhaps, a lot of work by the author/maintainer!)

-Ed