[Yum] too many config files

Ed Brown ebrown at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 3 20:25:18 UTC 2004

With 5 servers for different segments, and up to 4 repos on each one,
sometimes using a policy of 'newest', sometimes a policy of 'last', it
means a lot of config files to maintain and distribute.  Specifying info
about all the servers/repos in a single config file and using
enablerepo/disablerepo is not what we want to do for a couple of
reasons, and it also doesn't handle setting the policy.

I don't know python well, so I don't understand why option handling in
python is difficult or messy.  Aren't there standard option handling
routines like C and perl and even bash have?  Is 'parsing' the
commandline even necessary, as far as options go?

It just seems natural to expect a unix program to allow all the
flexibility and power of the program to be available on the commandline,
with a config file as a convenient option for common or less variant
parameters, not as the only way to input them.

What I'd like to achieve is to have a single config file to distribute,
and be able to specify (and override if they exist in the config file)
the policy and baseurl's on the commandline when I run yum (taking
advantage of variables in the calling scripts).

As to why, well, it would be vastly more convenient as a user of yum in
a diverse environment.  Not easier for you, I understand that.  But
suggesting cgi scripts to generate config files, to avoid having to
handle commandline options in the program itself, seems extreme.

I regard your program, and continuing work on it, as the gift that they
are, and don't mean to sound demanding.  Thanks for considering these
ideas.

-Ed