[Yum] yum performance

Mihai T. Lazarescu mihai at email.it
Fri Apr 30 22:00:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> It's the getting the data into the hash that takes some time.
>
> and even that isn't too bad - but if you have enough packages it takes
> more time than when you have fewer packages.

First idea: I remember that hashes are fast to search, but,
comparatively, very slow to grow.  To overcome this, most
hash libraries allow to define an initial size, which should
be best guessed large enough to accomodate all the entries,
to avoid frequent time consuming resizes while filling.
Does your package offer this feature?

Second idea: you mentioned package traversal as time consuming.
Is this time spent to open each package as a DB, grab the
info, close it?  If this is the case, have you then considered
building a cache of package contents, which can be updated
and used in subsequent runs, to take advantage that most
(if not all) the packages do not change between yum runs?

Hope it helps.  Thanks for your efforts, Seth.  Yum, as is now,
is simply great!

Mihai