[Yum] yum performance

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Apr 30 17:12:15 UTC 2004

> Perhaps I did not understand the question about traversing,
> but I'd build a hash with correspondences:
>     key:"feature provided" --> value:"list of packages that provide it"
> foe all available packages.

we do that. You have to read in the packaging information before you can
build this list.

How do you read in the packaging information w/o traversing the

> This hash would then be interrogated to find suitable candidates
> for a dependency, when the need arises.  But I suspect this
> is already implemented and it's still slow... :)

The hash lookup is fast - that's trivial.

It's the getting the data into the hash that takes some time.

and even that isn't too bad - but if you have enough packages it takes
more time than when you have fewer packages.