[Yum] feature request: include specific packages from a repository

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Apr 26 02:44:45 UTC 2004

> One of the problem I'm facing using multiple repositories is that a
> number of them contain the same package, but with different
> dependencies or build options. This can sometimes lead to a package
> being installed/upgraded on my system when I don't want it. Often, I
> add a repository to my list only because I'm interested in one package
> in it. Alternatively, I may want to maintain my own yum repository of
> a custom-built package for my server farm, and I would want to ignore
> that package in all repositories except mine. The global "pkgpolicy"
> option is not flexible enough to allow such fine-tuning.

then exclude the package in the other repos except for yours.

> Could I request a feature called, for example, "include", which could
> be used on a per-repo basis, to only track a certain package(s) in a
> repository? I know this has some dependency-related issues (for
> example, the "included" package may depend on other packages in that
> same repo). Perhaps the include can be applied after the dependency
> checks.

That's painful to code and maintain and of very little benefit.

includeonly= in a repo is not unreasonable - it just inverts exclude=
the include keyword is already tied up in yum.conf for the future but
includeonly or includepkgs is not.

if you do a specific include then you lose access to the other packages
not matching the includeonly statement in the repository. You don't get
to have your cake and eat it too. Either the packages are
excluded/included or they're not, it's not going to be "they're mostly
included except when I want to not be".