[Yum] Notification of kernel updates

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Apr 6 17:19:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:45:58PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

[ nigel wants notification when kernels get upgraded ]

> I am therefore wondering if there should additionally be some form of
> reporting for this situation, maybe one of:-
>       * yum reporting on this (all programs acquire features until they
>         are able to send and receive email)
>       * a logwatch report that specifically logs when running kernel is
>         not the most recent installed (this might irritate people who
>         have a good reason for doing this)
>       * a logwatch report that reports on packages changed since ???
>       * a logwatch report that reports on packages changed since ???
>         with extra kernel flagging feature

OK, my personal opinion here is that yum should stick to what yum does
(manage rpms) and let other programs do custom reporting and
notification (logwatch or epylog, for example).

This will probably be a bit easier in the next major version of yum
because the logging will get overhauled to make it a little easier to
understand.  Also, yum will do standard syslog logging.

> Not sure how well the yum log (which rolls on a size based criteria)
> will interwork with logwatch which I presume assumes regular log
> rolling?

a) yum doesn't rotate its own logs (that's another example of
   something yum shouldn't mess with).  It's handled by logrotate.
   Look in /etc/logrotate.d/yum

b) I don't think either epylog or logwatch care if something is
   rotated by size or date, so this should be doable in either.

> I'm quite willing to hack together appropriate scripting if theres a
> consensus on the right thing to do.

I think that might be useful.  However, don't go too nuts right now
since things will be changing a bit in 2.2.X.

<plug>
  Also, check out epylog:  http://linux.duke.edu/projects/epylog/
</plug>

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G