[Yum] Notification of kernel updates

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.InTechnology.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 15:45:58 UTC 2004

On a good number of my machines I let yum run and update automatically -
on the basis that I would prefer things to be kept up to date and deal
with breakages if they happen rather than rely on me being able to find
time to ensure things are updated.

This works well, with one exception: kernel updates.
The kernel updates are applied (subject to me not running out of space
in /boot :-) ), however yum does not reboot to the new kernel (thats
fine - I'm not that gung-ho), nor does it notify me that the kernel has
been updated (less fine).

I am therefore wondering if there should additionally be some form of
reporting for this situation, maybe one of:-
      * yum reporting on this (all programs acquire features until they
        are able to send and receive email)
      * a logwatch report that specifically logs when running kernel is
        not the most recent installed (this might irritate people who
        have a good reason for doing this)
      * a logwatch report that reports on packages changed since ???
      * a logwatch report that reports on packages changed since ???
        with extra kernel flagging feature

Not sure how well the yum log (which rolls on a size based criteria)
will interwork with logwatch which I presume assumes regular log
rolling?

I'm quite willing to hack together appropriate scripting if theres a
consensus on the right thing to do.

	Nigel.