[Yum] yum 2.0.X daily

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 24 22:28:30 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 06:22:36PM -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:
> How about adding some formatting changes?  Indent the "Server:" lines.

I don't care.

> How about overwriting the Finding/Downloading/Finding/Resolving lines upon
> successful completion (a "<CR> new text " rather than "new text
> <CR><NL>")?

There are two basic philosophies: 1) spew a stream of info 2) maintain
a friendly-looking screen.  Yum currently does the former.  Each has
its benefit.  The biggest benefits of (1) are that the info never goes
away (you can scroll back and see what happened) and it can be nicely
piped to a viewer or dumped to a file.

Doing the whole '\rnew line of stuff' thing really hoses data sent to
a file.  Sure, it's decipherable, but not conveniently.  Do a

  echo -e 'foo\rbar' | less

for giggles.  Bottom line, I don't think it's worth it to do
semi-fancy formatting.

> Is there any chance of maintaining the time stamps on the files being
> downloaded?  I use other programs to download files that use the size as
> well as the date modified to determine whether a file is new.  Yum's
> current functionality of not setting the correct time hoses this up.  I
> currently use wget and ncftp to maintain my updates repository.

I'll look into this.  Quick investigation reveals that the information
is available for some servers, at least.

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305