[Yum] yum 2.0.X daily

Paul Dickson dickson at permanentmail.com
Wed Sep 24 01:22:36 UTC 2003

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:57:52 -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> Hi folks,
>  There is a new yum 2.0.X daily up at:
> http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.0/daily/yum-20030921.tar.gz
>
> The primary change here is an attempt to fix a couple of annoying
> dependency loop cases during certain types of updates.
>
> yum was not attempting to update a program out of a dependency
> requirement in the event it found a place it couldn't resolve.

This seems to fix the case of not finding the -devel unless specified.

How about adding some formatting changes?  Indent the "Server:" lines.
How about overwriting the Finding/Downloading/Finding/Resolving lines upon
successful completion (a "<CR> new text " rather than "new text
<CR><NL>")?

Is there any chance of maintaining the time stamps on the files being
downloaded?  I use other programs to download files that use the size as
well as the date modified to determine whether a file is new.  Yum's
current functionality of not setting the correct time hoses this up.  I
currently use wget and ncftp to maintain my updates repository.

	-Paul

[root at violet 17:49:42 rh90]# LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 yum list updates
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Base
Server: Freshrpms packages for Red Hat Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Name                                Arch   Version                  Repo
kdebase                             i386   6:3.1-15                 updates
kdebase-devel                       i386   6:3.1-15                 updates

  [this list was trimed]

[root at violet 17:57:07 rh90]# LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 yum -C upgrade kdebase
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - Base
Server: Freshrpms packages for Red Hat Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Finding obsoleted packages
Resolving dependencies
.Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: kdebase 6:3.1-15.i386]
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: kdebase-devel 6:3.1-15.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
kdebase 100 % done 1/4
kdebase-devel 100 % done 2/4
Completing update for kdebase-devel  - 3/4
Completing update for kdebase  - 4/4
Updated:  kdebase 6:3.1-15.i386
Dep Installed:  kdebase-devel 6:3.1-15.i386
Transaction(s) Complete
[root at violet 18:02:41 rh90]#