[Yum] Only download option

Miguel Armas kuko at maarmas.com
Wed Sep 24 17:39:06 UTC 2003

Hi all!!
I would like to know if yum has (or you plan to add) an option to just
download the needed RPM, but not install them (similar to apt-get -d).

This is a very usefull feature in some scenarios. Imagine you have to upgrade
the distro in a server with a slow link. You would have to download several
MB and it would take a couple hours. You could leave it running all night,
but then you'll miss the upgrade process and probably important error
messages.
If we have a "just download" option, we run yum with that option at night.
When we come to work the next day, we have all the needed packages in the
local cache and can upgrade the system.

Sorry if this is a FAQ, but I've only seen this question once, and nobody
answered it...

Salu2!
--
Miguel Armas <kuko at maarmas.com>