[Yum] yum x urpm

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Sep 22 18:03:26 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:33:40PM +0200, Petr Slansky alleged:
> Hello!
>
> I found your yum. It looks cool. But I miss answer to my question in your FAQ.
> What is difference between yum a urpm. Urpm is used by Mandrake Linux for
> example. Could you compare these two utilities?

There's a few comparisons on this list, you might want to check the
archives.

The biggest difference between urpm and yum is that urpm uses a single,
monolithic "hdlist" file to describe all of the rpms in a given
repository, whereas yum uses an individual "header" file for each rpm.
urpm needs to be told to download the hdlist file, and the user has no
good way of knowing if and when this operation should be done.  yum
checks the repository for new header files every time it runs.  Yum's
behaviour is both convienent and frustrating.

Urpm is generally much faster than yum.  If you are looking for the
package that contains a particular file, urpmq will return that result
much faster.  Urpmi will also resolve deps faster.  However, yum will
return "info" (as in 'rpm -qi') for rpms; something that urpm doesn't
support.  Also, yum's dep resolution engine is much more reliable than
urpmi's.

I use both interchangeably on Mandrake.  For general package querying, I
use urpmq/urpmf.  For a single package install and system updates, I use
yum.