[Yum] first pass at newbie doc

Hedemark, Magnus CHedemark at trueposition.com
Mon Sep 22 16:44:33 UTC 2003

rpjday said:

> **** Installation
> - list of pre-requisite RPMs here

python
rpm-python
rpm >= v4.1.1
libxml2-python

> For advanced yummers (and covered later somewhere), you can
> build your own repositories with
>
>   /usr/bin/yum-arch

Don't forget to mention yum-arch is expecting an argument.

> (is it worth suggesting turning off the yum daemon for the
> time being until one gets more familiar with running it
> manually?)

I don't see the point of it with the cron job that is installed in
/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron (or am I missing something?)

> (question: AFAICT, a repository must have a top-level
>  headers/ directory, but the associated RPMs directory
>  need not be at the same level.  what's the flexibility here?)

Seems to be fairly flexible.  The way I have it set up now, there is a
repository root with a headers/ directory in it, and below the repository
root there may be a number of nested subdirectories with packages.  yum-arch
will index the relative paths and also what architecture each package is
built for so the client can choose the package that best fits.