[Yum] yum 2.0.X daily

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 22 00:57:52 UTC 2003

Hi folks,
 There is a new yum 2.0.X daily up at:
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.0/daily/yum-20030921.tar.gz

The primary change here is an attempt to fix a couple of annoying
dependency loop cases during certain types of updates.

yum was not attempting to update a program out of a dependency
requirement in the event it found a place it couldn't resolve.

for example:

if you issued yum update ethereal

and you had ethereal and ethereal-gnome installed then yum would
eventually bail out of the update b/c the installed ethereal-gnome was
complaining b/c it needed the older ethereal, not the newer one.

Now, when yum gets to a case like that it will say, so, there is no way
to give ethereal-gnome the old ethereal, so let's see if there is a new
ethereal-gnome that will take care of this problem.

That's the gist of this patch - I'll be backporting this to 1.0.X as
well, it will just take a little more work to make sure it fits right.

so please test this daily and let me know if you notice any oddities in
the dep resolution code - if you do notice anything weird please run yum
-d 5 [whatever command] and bugzilla it.

Thanks