[Yum] localhost can't update itself

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Fri Sep 19 12:57:41 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 12:12:33PM -0500, Millard, Matt wrote:
> [root at ul055 os]# yum list
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> Error getting file http://midrangeweb.principal.com/pub/updates/7.3/en/os/headers/header.info
> [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno socket error] nonnumeric port

Yikes.  This is repeatable? :)

That name does not resolve for me (which may not be surprising) so I
can't test that url.

Try this for me:

python /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/yum/urlgrabber.pyc http://midrangeweb.principal.com/pub/updates/7.3/en/os/headers/header.info header.info

(that should all be on one line)  I _may_ have the urlgrabber.pyc path
wrong, so correct it if I do.  Tell me what happens when you do that.
I expect that to fail if your problem is repeatable.  If it does fail,
do this:

python <<EOF
import urllib
fo = urllib.urlopen("http://midrangeweb.principal.com/pub/updates/7.3/en/os/headers/header.info")
ofo = open('/tmp/header.info', 'w')
ofo.write(fo.read())
EOF

And tell me what happens with that.

> [root at ul055 os]# rpm -q redhat-release rpm rpm-python yum
> redhat-release-7.3-1
> rpm-4.0.4-7x.18
> rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.18
> yum-1.0.3-1_80
>
> [root at ul055 os]# host midrangeweb
> midrangeweb.principal.com is an alias for ul055.principal.com.

Neither of these resolve for me, but it still gives me a different
error than you're getting.

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305