[Yum] localhost can't update itself

Millard, Matt Millard.Matt at principal.com
Fri Sep 19 12:39:07 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:12, Millard, Matt wrote:
> Trying to get Yum setup for our environment.  It is working fine
> updating remote clients(both 7.3 and 9), but it is not able to update
> itself.  The webserver is running on this machine.  There is no proxy
> server involved.  I don't see any errors in the apache logs, or
> yum.log.

any iptables or apache redirects going on?

[root at ul055 root]# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

The only thing that might be different is I have a symlink to the updates directory.
[root at ul055 html]# ls -l /opt/www/html/pub
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Aug 29 11:22 /opt/www/html/pub -> /archive/linux/redhat/
[root at ul055 html]# ls -l /opt/www/html/pub/updates/7.3/en/os
total 48
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        20480 Sep 19 07:36 headers
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root        20480 Sep 17 23:01 i386
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Aug 29 10:40 i686
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Aug 11 23:02 noarch

> [root at ul055 os]# yum list
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> Error getting file http://midrangeweb.principal.com/pub/updates/7.3/en/os/headers/header.info
> [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno socket error] nonnumeric port

wow, that's an interesting error.

What does your yum.conf look like?

Don't have enough disk space to have base yet...working on it.  Updates only at this time.

[root at ul055 root]# cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2