[Yum] source packages

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Sep 18 18:52:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 07:46, Jeremy Panfo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been asked in the past but I haven't seen anything recent
> about it.
>
> Has yum changed with respect to source packages? I would like to use yum to
> install source packages (I'll be handling the building etc. myself). Is this
> possible?

I'm extremely interested in this to. There are some packages out there
*cough*divx4linux*cough*flash plugin*cough* that are perfectly legal for
a user to download and use, but can be distributed by a third party.

I have a shell script that can download source files listed in a src.rpm
(assuming url source) and put them in the SOURCES directory - it would
be great to integrate that with yum so that users can more easily get
binary packages for those system - w/o a distributor having to negotiate
redistribution rights.

btw - I'm not using yum yet (other than client on my ydl box - which
doesn't do anything other than cvs server) but I've been lurking on the
list - and it looks like yum really is the best solution for rpm based
distributions to push updates and make new packages available.