[Yum] Re: Fallen. Can't get up.

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Thu Sep 18 15:45:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 05:53:21PM -0400, Brad Cox wrote:
> Not sure how this happened, but both up2date and yum disappeared from
> my RH 8.0 system. Tried downloading yum from dulag but the link on
> the download page is broken.
>
> So I compiled the srpm but the install step failed with
>
> [root at linux noarch]# rpm -Uvh yum-1.0.3-1_80.noarch.rpm         file
> /etc/yum.conf from install of yum-1.0.3-1_80 conflicts with file from
> package atrpms-13-16.rh8.0.at
>
> I'm guessing the problem is that I'd added ATrpms to yum.conf

ATrpms had a large shift of users from 8.0 to 9 before I had a chance
to incorporate proper yum support, so maybe there is a problem in the
setup there. Nevertheless that should not cause problems like
uninstalling yum or even up2date. The remaining RH8.0 users seem to
use the repo without problems (but I should check the logs, whether
the use apt or yum).

Incidentially I have been pushed to support even 7.3 and have been
preparing rpm 4.2 and yum 2.0.3 for all three platforms. I have built
rpms, but I haven't set up systems < RH9 to test them yet. Any takers?

> with no knowledge of what the names mean than the (nonexistent)
> descriptions on the repository page. Some of them now look outright
> dangerous.

The descriptions are on the repo site itself, as a colored legend on
every page on the bottom. The ones looking dangerous are intended to
look like that ;)

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:36:24PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> ugh - ok - sorry about the broken link - I'll remove it - I don't have a
> built yum-1.0.3-1_80.noarch.rpm b/c I don't have an 8.0 machine- could
> someone build one for me?

I could, if you pass the src.rpm URL.

> second:
>  the atrpms thing has something to do with one of the packages axel puts
> in that binds the yum to a certain version.

The atrpms package contains among others the configuration files for
apt and yum. I package apt and yum into rpms w/o configuration, in
order to not have to redeploy them whenever I add a new repo to the
configuration.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de