[Yum] PASV ftp support?

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Sep 17 02:36:44 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Michael Stenner wrote:

> This was discussed pretty thoroughly on this list a few months back.
> Try searching the archives to check what I'm about to say.

Hmm thought so, and I did google it - google was not my buddy.  Perhaps my
search terms were not right.  Now that I knwo there is a discussion, I'll
try again.

> ftplib under 1.5.2 defaults to active ftp.  Under 2.2 it defaults to
> passive.  The decision at the time was to not introduce the nastiness
> in urlgrabber needed to deal with the triple-special-case of people
> that:
>
>  1) need to use yum 1.x
>  2) need to use ftp
>  3) need to be behind a firewall that can't handle active ftp

Ahh.. makes sense.

> If you want to try and convince me that you REALLY need to use ftp,
> I'm all ears :)

FTP or PASV?  The first should be obvious why I want to use it, the
second, I'd rather have the user fix their setup and I agree with you.

As far as HTTP goes, We're not in a position to offer the current
archives via HTTP quite yet - we'd need to do some additional work to make
that happen to cover the site licensed stuff (plus all the other things
that people would instantly want to transistion to the FTP server :) and
we don't have the time right now to do that.  It's on the list, but not
soon.

-n
nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free