[Yum] PASV ftp support?

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Wed Sep 17 02:20:05 UTC 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:36:53PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Well.. I think that firewall==NAT and possibly the gateway doesn't have
> > one of the standard ftp modules laoded...  I partly was thinking that the
> > ability to do PASV was/should be there, perhaps wrongly?
>
> well, I'd like to see what's happening, I would expect it to work - but
> the firewall/nat will need to be able to cope with pasv connections too.
>
> Also - why not just use http -it gets around all the stupidity with ftp
> and is much cleaner imo.

This was discussed pretty thoroughly on this list a few months back.
Try searching the archives to check what I'm about to say.

ftplib under 1.5.2 defaults to active ftp.  Under 2.2 it defaults to
passive.  The decision at the time was to not introduce the nastiness
in urlgrabber needed to deal with the triple-special-case of people
that:

 1) need to use yum 1.x
 2) need to use ftp
 3) need to be behind a firewall that can't handle active ftp

If you want to try and convince me that you REALLY need to use ftp,
I'm all ears :)

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305