[Yum] PASV ftp support?

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Wed Sep 17 00:17:17 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, nathan r. hruby wrote:

> My turn for the less than enlightened questions of the day:
> yup (back in the day) had PASV ftp support, but I can't seem to find any
> mention of this in the yum docs.  Does yum/urlgrabber have pasv FTP
> support?
>
> I got a user with a firewall and er.. well.. you probably get the picture
> ;-)

Ok, so maybe not a completely boneheaded question...

My (very quick) assessment is that urlgrabber requires urllib which in
turn requires lowerlevel libs to do the actual work.. In the case of ftp,
the lower level lib is ftplib, which has a set_pasv() call, but was never
documented in urllib/ftplib until 1.5.2 (eg: after yum....)  not sure what
the deal is with python2.  All this infeered from a quick scan fo the
source and
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/1999-August/000095.html

Anyway.. To answer Seth's question:
> is it not actually working through that firewall?

Apparently not.

> What version of yum?

Assuming 1.x, possibly 1.98...  I think the platform is RHL-8.0

> I use yum behind nat all the time and I haven't noticed anything like
> that.

Well.. I think that firewall==NAT and possibly the gateway doesn't have
one of the standard ftp modules laoded...  I partly was thinking that the
ability to do PASV was/should be there, perhaps wrongly?

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free