[Yum] yumgroups.xml - needs to be in each repository?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 11 21:32:29 UTC 2003

> 1) If yum finds the yumgroups.xml file in one repository, does it really
> need to look for it in the rest of the repositories?  When yum finds a
> repository without the yumgroups.xml file it complains:
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   ftp://foobar.cs.ucsb.edu/updates-9/yumgroups.xml
>   Executing failover method
>
> So, why not stop looking for the file if it's already seen it in another
> repository?  Which leads me to the next question:

each repository can have it's own, independent yumgroups.xml

They'll merge together groups of the same name/id or, alternatively,
overwrite based on a setting in yum.conf

so that is why it looks through all repositories but doesn't exit if it
doesn't find one in all of them.

> 2) Theoretically, what happens if two yumgroups.xml files are found and
> they define the same group with different packages?  Or if a group is
> defined in one and not in the other?

read above.

Welcome,

enjoy.