[Yum] why yum need Content-Length?

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Sat Sep 6 00:13:09 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 04:26:10PM +0200, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> I've got the following error from you:
> -------------------------------------
> Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - os
> retrygrab() failed for:
>   http://x.y.com/yum-repository/redhat/9/i386/headers/header.info
>   Executing failover method
> failover: out of servers to try
> Error getting file
> http://x.y.com/yum-repository/redhat/9/i386/headers/header.info
> [Errno 6] ERROR: Url Return no Content-Length  - something is wrong
> -------------------------------------
> why yum required Content-Length? I know it's a bit tricy as our yum
> client can find it's repo (since we do some proxy etc...) and along this
> path the Content-Length lost. but why we need Content-Length?
> it would solve our problem...
> any chance?
>
> of course http://x.y.com/yum-repository/redhat/9/i386/headers/header.info
> is a walid url (eg. lynx are able to read it).

Short answer: we plan to remove this restriction in the near future
(there's a version of urlgrabber in testing now that does not
include).

long answer: see the thread "YUM+FTP" from a week or two ago :)

					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305