[Yum] Groups & Repositories - Best Way to Setup?

Jeff Sheltren sheltren at cs.ucsb.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:20:24 UTC 2003

Hi, I am trying to set up multiple repsoitories so that I can have
different groups of systems automatically install the packages they
need.  I have set up multiple repositories, ie:

[9-base] - base RedHat 9
[9-updates] - updates to RedHat 9 packages

[group1] - packages only for 'group1' machines
[group1-updates] - updates for 'group1' packages

[group2] - packages only for 'group2' machines
[group2-updates] - updates for 'group2' machines

I was planning to have a separate yum.conf file for each group of
machines.  In fact, I plan to use multile conf files for each group.
Each will have a yum.conf which just points to the 9-base and updates so
that all the RedHat packages stay current (this will be run every day).
Then, each host would also have a yum.conf-group which would only have
repo info for whichever group it is in.  I could run something like 'yum
-c /etc/yum.conf-group install \*' to install the necesary packages for
each group.  The problem is, certain packages in the 'group1' repo have
dependencies from the RedHat base repo.  Since I have the group repo in
a separate conf file, it is unable to find the packages it needs when I
run yum with '-c yum.conf-group'.

Is there an easy way to get this working?  As far as I can tell, the
only way to accomplish this is to setup a yumgroups.xml and define the
package groups in there, and then running a 'yum groupinstall group1'.
At which point, I could have just one conf file with all the
repositories in it.  It would be nice if I could get this working by
only modifying the yum.conf file, instead of creating a new comps.xml...

Thanks,
Jeff