[Yum] yum suggestions

Rick Graves gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 21:35:48 UTC 2003

Hello yum team,

I tried yum and it works great.  Thanks for the good
idea and the good implementation.

I have two little suggestions.

One.

Since the HOWTO is still in draft, AT LEAST make the
man pages accessible from the web site.

I told my Linux friends about yum, one was interested,
and this person had some specific questions that the
man page answers.  In addition to answering his
questions, I had to find the man page files on my PC
and send them to my friend via e-mail.  (I also told
my friend that installing and trying yum is so easy,
he might as well give it a go and answer his own
questions.  Sorry for having lazy friends.)

It would not hurt to have the current man pages
available on the yum site permanently.

Two.

Put comments in the yum.conf file that ships with the
yum rpm that can be uncommented to direct the
installer's PC to second tier (mirror) repository
servers.

I would hazard to guess that yum will become more
popular over time.  Your default yum.conf file
generously directs the PC to the Duke U repository
server.  If the load on your servers becomes too much,
you will have to redirect random users (like me) to
second tier repositories anyway.  So the yum.conf file
could ONLY list second tier repositories, and the
setup instructions could say go in and uncomment one
server.

That would make it easy for guys like me to access a
mirror repository.

Thanks again, great work!

Rick Graves
Hong Kong