[Yum] identical dependency loop exceeded

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 30 14:07:39 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 08:35:17AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> Here is how yum does depsolving. It goes through and tries to satisfy
> the requests of ts.check() if it goes through more than 5 dependency
> loops with no change in the output of ts.check() then it means that
> nothing new is happening on the resolution front and we should just give
> up.

Just out of curiosity, why 5?  If state n+1 (S_{n+1}) depends only on
S_{n} and nothing else, then doesn't

  S_{n+1} == S_{n}

imply that

  S_{m} == S_{n}   for all  m > n?

If that's the case,t then I would expect a single step with no change
to be enough.
					-Michael
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305