[Yum] identical dependency loop exceeded

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Oct 30 13:35:17 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 08:31, Cliff Kent wrote:
> Fedora Core Test 3
> yum-2.0.4-1
>
> I did "yum update" and 244 packages were updated successfully.
>
> Four hours later, after adding the new mozilla repository to the working
> yum.conf, "yum update" fails with:
>
> ----------< large snip >---------------
>
> getting
> /var/cache/yum/mozilla-seamonkey/headers/mozilla-nss-devel-37-1.5-1.i386.hdr
> mozilla-nss-devel-37-1.5- 100% |=========================| 8.6 kB    00:00
> Resolving dependencies
> ....identical dependency loop exceeded
> package epiphany needs mozilla = 37:1.4.1 (not provided)
> [root at bullwinkle root]#
>
> ------< sorry about the word wrap >---------
>
> OK, I did "rpm -e epiphany-1.0.4-2", tried "yum update" again, and I got
> Mozilla 1.5 just fine.
>
> So, what should "....identical dependency loop exceeded" tell me?

Here is how yum does depsolving. It goes through and tries to satisfy
the requests of ts.check() if it goes through more than 5 dependency
loops with no change in the output of ts.check() then it means that
nothing new is happening on the resolution front and we should just give
up.

The reason is stated above, you were trying to update mozilla but it
would leave you with a broken epiphany, so it can't update.