[Yum] "update" versus "install"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Oct 25 15:08:58 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 11:03, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-25 at 06:26, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i'm a little puzzled over the documented behaviour of the yum "update"
> > option and what it's actually supposed to do.  are all variations of "yum
> > update" only supposed to update existing RPMs on your ssystem?
> >

> if you run yum update, and you specify a package that is not installed
> anywhere then there are two possible types of behavior
>
> if tolerant=1(config file) or -t is set (commandline) then yum will say,
> 'oh you don't have that package around to update, but I'll install it
> for you'
>
> if tolerant=0 or -t is not set then yum will say, 'oh you don't have
> that package installed, too bad'
>
> tolerant=1 means 'be tolerant about user's not knowing what they have
> installed.'

correction - it won't install it in tolerant mode.

but if you list multiple packages on the command line it won't stop from
installing/updating/whatever the others b/c one doesn't exist.

ie: yum install foo bar baz - if foo doesn't exist and tolerant mode is
not on then yum will exit with an error, but if tolerant mode is set
then it will continue processing with bar and baz and just throw an
error string for foo.

sorry. misremembered what I coded there.