[Yum] Survey of Use

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 24 23:43:57 UTC 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Hedemark, Magnus wrote:

> I, too, am trying to learn RHL enough to roll my own distro.  It seems to me
> that the fedora announcement is another step towards dumping the consumer
> distro and investing all R&D into the RHEL lineup.  While RH claims that
> Fedora is a community run distro, it is under RH's leadership (an
> organization that has no real experience or credibility in running community
> projects).
>
> It seems that many of us here on this list have similar goals.  i.e. an RPM
> based distro that uses yum & kickstart, remains stable, is well maintained,
> has a long life cycle, etc.  Do we have enough in common to pool resources?

I think so, but at least for starters it seems like the best plan would
be to participate in the fedora project.  Rant against RH aside, they
NEED us (and fedora) to do rawhide and have a very strong incentive to
make this succeed; the people who pay actual money for RHEL at the rates
they plan to charge are NOT going to be amused by doing their beta
testing for them, and we as a community do in fact provide more support
than we consume even in the beta testing process.

If this doesn't work, we can always worry about alternatives.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu