[Yum] Survey of Use

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark at trueposition.com
Fri Oct 24 15:05:33 UTC 2003

Eric V. Smith asks:
> I do the same thing, with a really pared down comps.xml.  How
> are people
> installing yum?  I'm currently manually listing the RPM's
> that need to be
> installed, including yum dependencies.  But this is a handful
> of packages
> to specify, is there any better way?

I do all this in the %post section of my kickstart script.  I could add it
to the base install but I'd rather keep the RH base/updates directories
pristine and put all of my site-specific stuff into a different directory.

Here are the relevant bits from my current *stable* ks.cfg:
%post
# I realize most of these OpenPGP keys are not necessary.
# I intend to pare this down in the next revision.
rpm --import http://yum.trueposition.com/650d5882.txt
rpm --import http://yum.trueposition.com/db42a60e.txt
rpm --import http://yum.trueposition.com/897da07a.txt
rpm --import http://yum.trueposition.com/e418e3aa.txt
# Install yum
rpm -ihv http://yum.trueposition.com/redhat/9/tp/yum.rpm
# Update existing packages
yum -d 0 -e 0 -y update
# Install VNC client/server packages
yum -d 0 -e 0 -y install tightvnc tightvnc-server
# Clean up
yum clean

I have a testing ks.cfg that is completely different and not yet suitable
for posting.  :)