[Yum] Yum repo: Apache or VSFTP???

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Oct 24 13:46:40 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:09, jcosta at lendleaserei.com wrote:

> The HOWTO describes using FTP for a repo, but most repo's seem to be HTTP.
> I've even read that HTTP is faster than FTP for a repo.  Thoughts??

Hey,
 I'm partial to http servers for yum repos too. Same reasons as Magnus
mentioned - you can tunnel it more easily and it works behind firewalls
too.

You might want to look at a lighter-weight httpd server than apache
though. Maybe something like thttpd. If you're just serving static
content you don't need all the dynamic stuff that apache offers to
really make it run.

If you're serving a lot of machines tux might be a good way to go.