[Yum] Survey of Use

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark at trueposition.com
Fri Oct 24 11:47:19 UTC 2003

Theresa Chen said:
> I just got
> fed up with the
> package installs and the stupid RHN surveys and the updating of 300
> some linux machines individually that eventually embarked on an online
> search for the golden "rpm emerge". :)

In all fairness to RH, they have RHEN for $60/box/year that gives you a
unified RHN interface to manage large groups of machines at once.

However, I was able to pretty easily choke their web app with only ~25-30
machines (running 4 or 5 versions of RHL and RHEL).  yum doesn't give you
the nice unified centralized control of RHEN but it scales *much* better.

> P.S. You should've seen the face of my coworkers when they
> updated their
> Redhat machines with yum for the first time...

I'm using RH9 at work here, and most of the engineers are Debian guys
(apt-get fans) or FreeBSD guys (ports tree fans).  When I show them yum
they, too, are very pleasantly surprised.

It's always fun, too, when you get the Debian guys in IRC that smugly say "I
can upgrade all the packages on my machine with nothing more than 'apt-get
udpate && apt-get dist-ugprade'" and I respond "'yum upgrade'.  Less
typing."