[Yum] Re: yum] Survey of Use

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Oct 24 01:47:21 UTC 2003

> > seth vidal wrote :
> >
> > > Send messages regarding how you use yum. I did this a few months ago but
> > > that was before the 'fedora uses yum' stuff and all the fun that comes
> > > with that. :)

I have been using yum as follows:

   1.  In commercial prodution, with a mirror constellation
for updates, with 'qualified' updates -- those which Owl River
has concluded are safe for existing configurations to receive.

   The base package sets range from 'plain jane' Red Hat x86
from RHL 7.2 on, Yellow Dog extensions, all the way to a
custom built 'Aurora' Sparc rpm archive

    2.  I also distribute content through a private VPN
network, with server host side 'push' and 'pull' management of
individual client side hosts, similar to the up2date
deferred and scheduled management functions.

I do not know that I saw a reply by Jim Wildman to the 'change
control' question, but the core concept is that a given client
host should be able to be pushed (or its yum find and pull)
only a tested, 'back-outable', and approved packageset at a
stated and known EVR.  The 'ad hoc' nature of yum's dependency
solution for an 'unruly' way most OSS end users is a great
match; with 'change control' and a defined package set, it is
also possible to push out transactions (for yum to solve
against) of just 'permitted' and approved updates to update
mirrors; this also permits more policy based management of
hosts.

    3.  Most interestingly, I have been using it with the cAos
implementation testing, and in an RHEL chroot build process;
managing creation and population of the chroot with yum
has greatly simplified matters.

-- Russ Herrold